Pets are a joy to have around the house, but they can also cause some unexpected plumbing problems. If you’re not careful, your pets’ fur and the dirt, grass and leaves that you wash off of them in the tub can clog your drains (and even break them!). While it may seem like a small price to pay for a pet’s company, you could face unexpected and costly repairs.
Here are a few common issues that pet owners experience within their homes.
Pet fur can damage drains.
Cleaning pet fur from the drains and pipes isn’t something you want to put off. It’s best to take care of it immediately, or you could end up with a much bigger problem on your hands. Here are some ways to keep drains clog-free:
- Use a wet vac or shop vac. These tools can help clear out hair that has made its way down the drain and into the pipes.
- Use a plumber’s snake (or other manual methods).
Bathing dirty pets in the tub can clog your drains.
Even if you do everything in your power to keep your pet clean, there is always the chance that some of the dirt they’ve carried in will end up in the drain. Pet waste, no matter how you dispose of it, can clog your drains. That being said, there are a few things you can do to prevent this from happening:
- Use hair-catching drain covers on tubs and showers to catch hair before it goes down the drain.
- Empty the litter box daily (or at least every other day).
- Clean up any food spills or uneaten cat or dog food immediately; otherwise, they will attract flies and other pests.
Keep an eye out for these issues, so you aren’t surprised by a bill for repairs
Keep an eye out for these issues so you aren’t surprised by a bill for repairs. If you’re new to pet ownership, it’s important to know that there are some things you can do to keep your plumbing happy. When it comes to hair, try brushing your cat or dog more often so that they have less fur to shed when bathed. This will help keep the drains clean and prevent any clogs from happening in the future.
However, whenever you may need a plumber, we encourage you to keep Roto-Rooter in mind! Our team of plumbing experts have seen it all. Learn more at www.rotorootermobile.com today.